This lively City of Chicago has an estimated population of over 2.7 million and famous for its historic land marks, like the Willis tower
, Navy Pier
or the Michigan Avenue Bridge
. Beyond its luxurious lifestyle, mind-blowing attractions, pleasant weather, there are some Chicago facts that are still unknown. Did you know that spray paint was invented in Chicago in 1949 or Chicago is a home to more than 200 theaters? Trace some interesting facts about this beautiful city.
Image by Sven Goelles via http://www.panoramio.com/photo/387705
Chicago Geographic and Demographic Facts
- Chicago covers 237 square miles of land.
- Chicago has an estimated population of 2,695,598 residents.
- Chicago is the 3rd most populous city in the United States.
- Chicago is also the 3rd largest city in the United States.
- The city has 26 miles of lakefront.
- The city is also the home to 15 miles of bathing beaches and 19 miles of lakefront bicycle paths.
- 19 miles of lakefront bicycle paths
- Chicago is also home to 552 parks.
Chicago Historic Facts
- Sen. Carol Moseley Braun was elected as the first female African-American U.S. senator of the country in the year 1992.
- Chicago was incorporated as a city in the year 1837.
- Chicago Police Department formed in the year 1855.
- The Great Fire took places in the year 1871.
- The Home Insurance Company, the first skyscraper of the world was built in 1885.
Interesting and Fun Facts about Chicago
- The downtown area of Chicago is called "The Loop".
- Chicago boasts in having eleven Fortune 500 companies.
- The only river in the world that flows backward is the Chicago River.
- The Lincoln Park Zoo is the among the only three free zoos in America.
- Chicago’s Art Institute is a home to the largest collection of Impressionist paintings outside the Louvre in Paris.
- Chicago also hosts the world’s largest free outdoor food festival, the Taste of Chicago.
- The zipper was invented in Chicago in the year 1851.
- The Ferris wheel was also invented in Chicago in the year 1893.
- Chicago also invented the deep-dish pizza.
- Four neighboring states - Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan are visible from the top of Wills Tower.
- The term "Jazz" was invented in Chicago in the year 1914.